With warmer weather and vaccinations increasing, more and more people are excited for a change of scenery. Enter: Travel. Accessible via Ike's Interstate System - Kansas I-70 - and Kansas Highway 15, Abilene is a convenient destination to spend your Saturday.
1. Coffee and SconesSips Espresso Bar. The scones are baked fresh, in-house daily, and include Blueberry, White Chocolate & Raspberry, Apple Cinnamon, Cranberry & Orange, Lemon Poppy Seed, and Chocolate Chip.
Location: 2309 N Buckeye Ave
2. Tour a Historic Mansion
Visiting the historic Seeleye Mansion should be on everyone's bucket list.
Named an “8 Wonders of Kansas – Architecture”, the Seelye Mansion is like a time capsule. Most of the home’s furnishings were purchased at the 1904 St. Louis World’s Fair. The furnishings cost more than the $55,000 that was spent building the 11,000 square foot home. The home features the original Edison light fixtures and Tiffany-style mantel. Frank Lloyd Wright suggested remodeling the interior in the 1920s. The home was featured on the History Channel’s Mysteries at the Mansion. Visitors even get to bowl on the 1905 Box Ball alley, which was purchased at the Chicago World’s Fair.
Location: 1105 N Buckeye Ave
3. Lunch DowntownAmanda's Bakery & Bistro for a bite to eat. Enjoy a Chicken Walnut Salad Sandwich and hot or cold tea.
Location: 302 N Broadway Ave
4. Say Hello to Ginger and BuddyGreyhound Hall of Fame Museum not only celebrates leaders in the Greyhound Industry, but also the breed and its history.
Location: 407 S Buckeye Ave
5. Shop for unique finds and one-of-a-kind treasurers
6. Enjoy a Sweet Treat
No trip to Abilene is complete without a trip to Russell Stover. Make sure to check out their back room for extra savings!
Location: 1993 Caramel Blvd.
7. Dine at the "farmhouse on a hill"Mr. K's Farmhouse is the location of many families and celebratory meals. Make sure to save room for dessert!
Location: 407 S Van Buren St
Too much? Abilene is home to more than 200 rooms including bed and breakfast, hotels, motels, and Airbnbs for every price point.